Thursday, June 28, 2012

Education and Option Value from Bryan Caplan

Education and Option Value: A Conversation With Virgil Storr

This conversation cheered my soul. I have a lot of issues/objections/whatever with/to education in the US.  Primarily, every day, it seems, I learn about a new field that I didn't even know existed.  And I say, "Wow, if I had any idea that a person could do this for a living I would have started from day one."

This isn't 100% the fault of our educational institutions.  But, who would have thought that a field like evolutionary psychology (link) existed?  I sure didn't.  I didn't hear about it until a few years ago.  Honestly, before the internet, people may have gone their whole lives without hearing about the field.

Our schools need to upgrade and move away from training students in language and arts.  The focus should be on skill development, career awareness, or just a flat out apprenticeship for people that know they want to work in computers.

Plenty would argue against this, saying kids are too young to make decisions.  Fine, then just develop their skills in areas that allow them access to the widest array of careers possible such as math, computer science, economics :), electronics, accounting (boring), law, anything besides literature, painting, speaking a random language, etc.

No comments: